Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Fat Dog Makes Me a Prophet

We are dog sitting my in-laws Beagle for the next month while they are vacationing in Texas.  Sammy is the dog's name and over eating is the dog's game.  Sammy is getting a little older and her metabolism has slowed down quite a bit - simply put, she's super fat.

Have you ever had a dog constantly at your feet?  It is a trip hazard and an annoyance. Yesterday as I was preparing dinner in the kitchen Sammy would not go away.  She was wandering around the kitchen looking for scraps and bothering me with her persistent desire to have me throw her some food.  Finally I got so fed up with it that I looked at Sammy and I said, "Get out of here.  Your killing yourself.  Don't you get it?"

Sammy waddled out of the room and as she sat staring at me from just beyond the tile floor I had the realization that my words were somewhat prophetic.  Sammy doesn't know she's overweight and killing herself by constantly seeking more and more food, she's just doing what she's accustomed to doing.  It makes me wonder about all the possible ways I am killing myself spiritually with the things I do and never give a second thought to?  Have you ever thought about that?

The tendency of most people is to put life their lives on auto pilot and just go throw the motions with as little resistance as possible.  However, this never leads us into intimacy with God.  In his book Crazy Love Francis Chan describes it like this,
“If life is a river, then pursuing Christ requires swimming upstream. When we stop swimming, or actively following Him, we automatically begin to be swept downstream. I believe much of the American churchgoing population, while not specifically swimming downstream, is slowly floating away from Christ.”
I find this to be true in my life.  When I am not actively focusing on Jesus I drift away from him.  Knowing this I have to be vigilant everyday to think of Christ and put him first in my life.  Or else I am like a fat dog that just keeps on eating until I burst.

No comments:

 

Blog Archive