Skip to main content

Shoveling the Junk Out of My Heart


Some people have their more introspective thoughts while in the shower.  I seem to have some of my more reflective moments when I am snow-blowing the driveway.  As happened today.

Just when I finished cleaning off the entire driveway I saw the snow plow truck rounding the corner into our cul-de-sac.  Perfect I thought, and I planned on shoveling the end of the driveway as soon as the plow drove by.  I waited and as I expected, a wall of snow was planted right at the end of the driveway.  I huffed and puffed and moved all the heavy, ice chunky snow away.  Then I turned to go into the house satisfied with my hard work and the serendipity of the snow plows arrival coinciding with my shoveling.

However what happened next caught me by surprise.  The snow plow truck turned around and made a couple more passes around the cul-de-sac, this time depositing twice the amount of snow at the end of my driveway than before.  I couldn't believe it.  It felt like all my initial hard work was wasted.  As I shoveled away the new snow I shook off my displeasure and that's when my reflective moment happened.

Jesus has broken into my life a few times in the form of a big snow plow truck.  Not knowing at the time, all the junk that was plowed up was for my good because Jesus had work for me to do in my heart.  There was ugly, black snow on my heart that needed to be shoveled away.  Like cleaning off the end of the driveway, I had to do some heavy lifting in order to remove the ice blocks.  When I finished I was tired, of course, but I was also deeply satisfied at my accomplishment and with the condition of my heart.  That's when Jesus comes plowing down the cul-de-sac again with more snow to be removed.

What I've learned is that Jesus isn't satisfied with me just getting a little cleaned up.  He wants me to be fully completely healed, restored, set free, and cleansed from the junked up sin in my heart.  He is constantly working for my good and for my total restoration as his child.  This wholeness won't be fully accomplished this side of heaven, but I shouldn't get frustrated when I find out there is more work to be done.

It is God's grace that he doesn't allow me to be complacent or content with where I am.  Rather, he encourages me to celebrate where I've come from, without taking my eye off where I want to be.  Or as my pastor Jon Hohm said once, "I'm not where I want to be, but I'm no where near where I used to be."
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

When it is time to write a sermon I have found it is most effective for me to get out of the house and go to a coffee shop.  My mind is clearer and my focus is sharper there.  I am usually more productive.

The increase in output may be because, as pastor and author Mark Batterson often says, "change of place + change of pace = change in perspective."  However, I think something else is influencing me.  When I am out of my house I am not distracted by messes, dishes, house chores, or clutter; my mind is completely free to focus on the task I want to accomplish.

 In addition to Batterson's creativity axiom, here are a couple little formulas that I've found hold true for me:

Cleanliness = Creativity and Calmness.
Organized home = Organized mind.

Simply put, I function best when my environment feels under control.  This feeling of control comes in many different forms.  I feel like things are under control when my surroundings are clean and organized.  I feel like thin…