How My Faith Makes Me Different

Do you ever find yourself struggling with the thought, "How does my faith in Christ make me any different than anyone else?"

There are all kinds of scenarios that this thought can be related to,

Finances - Many people far from God make more money that Christians.  Many Christians are broke, in debt, struggling to meet basic needs, feeling overwhelmed financially.

Parenting - Many people far from God have wonderful, amazing children.  Many Christians have kids who are wild, sassy, struggle in school, have bad relationships with their peers, and who seem out of control.

Health - Many people far from God go through life with very few medical problems.  Many Christians are overweight, sick, struggling with allergies, have accidents, and battle addiction, depression and anxiety.

Marriage - Many people far from God have fantastic marriages.  Many Christians have marriages that fail, where abuse occurs, where communication lacks, and where joy is hard to find.

Career- Many people far from God are very successful and fulfilled in their career. Many Christians wonder what they are supposed to be when they grow up, they wander and they feel lost regarding the future.

Sometimes I feel like I am more overwhelmed than unbelievers because I think my life should be different, and yet when I look around me it seems like everyone is doing just fine, despite the fact that they have little place for God in their life.

I often think that if I just had all the issues in my life ironed out, then I could give God so much more glory.  I think that if I wasn't so burdened by my troubles, then I'd be so much more thankful and fruitful for Him.  I'm reminded, however, that God is not concerned with making my life the same as everyone else's.  He is concerned with making me more like him.  And he is ultimately concerned with Himself being Glorified and made much of.

Truth is - if I had no financial burdens, if my kids were little angels and my marriage was movie like, if I was healthy as an ox, if my career was like a rocket shooting upwards into pace - if all those things were true, odds are I'd feel little need for God in my life, and ultimately I'd make my life about myself instead of Him.

My faith makes me different than anyone else because it changes my goals and my expectations.  It gives me a foundation in times of trouble and a lens through which I interact with the world around me. It gives me an unshakable hope in all that is to come, a rock to cling to when storms hit, and an unending source of joy that is unrelated to my circumstances.  I am never hopeless, never without resource, never over powered.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest