Climbing Faith life
Lessons from Mt Everest5/07/2013 09:56:00 AM
It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side. However life is actually much more like ...
It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side. However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain. It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this. I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life. Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14
2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10
3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13
4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15
5. You have to acknowledge your God given limits and tap into your God given strengths ----> Rom 10You can read the entire sermon here.