Skip to main content

Change happens. How do you deal with it?

I worked for a company once where the company culture said that the only constant was change.  The older I get the more true that mantra seems to be in describing all of life.  Forms of change come at us all day, every day, month after month, year after year.  There are various intensities of change and each change is unique in the goodbyes it necessitates and the hellos it brings, but change is constantly happening all around us.

Yesterday our church said goodbye to one of its pastors.  We have only been at the church a year, but as a family we have developed great friendships and admiration for this man and his family.  We are sad to see him go, but also excited for this new chapter in their lives and in the lives of our church.

As a family we are discussing what changes we need to make to meet our budget and our long term financial goals.  This involves making decisions about things to buy, activities to be in, and where to live.  The changes that these choices will demand are hard changes to make.

My career has always involved a high amount of change.  I have worked at 4 companies in the last 13 years.  Within these companies I have held different positions and worked in multiple retail stores.  I'm starting to wonder what kind of career changes are looming on the horizon for me.

Then there is personal change.  By God's grace I am not the person I once was, but I'm not yet the person I want to be.  There are still many changes I want to make in my character, attitude, and spiritual development.  They are growth changes, building on the foundation that Jesus has brought into my life.

Our life has changed dramatically with the end of the school year.  Now there are all kinds of adjustments that need to be made in family scheduling, cleaning, transportation, and interaction.  I have to change my mindset to adjust to having the kids around all the time on my days off.

Not every change is a life altering change, but there is an ebb and flow of death and life that comes with change.  It is tempting to focus only on what is being lost and to forget that God is meaning to bring something good from the change.  Jesus does not waste anything.  He is the author, builder, redeemer, and savior of all things.  So when you are in the midst of change that has you do focus your eyes on him and put your hope and faith in his good Word, confident that you will see greater things in your future.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…