Your Win/Loss Record Does Not Matter to God

It had been three weeks since I'd seen the boys at Tuesday night town league softball and I really wasn't sure what to expect as I approached the field.  Things have been pretty for our team this season.  We're a team that consists mainly of churchmen with decent, but not spectacular talent, playing in a league where guys spend hundreds on bats and in some cases play year round.  If your tracking with me then you'd be safe to assume our record puts us towards the bottom of the league.

Last weeks game had been especially painful and the reports I'd gotten from some players said the team spirit was at its lowest.  People were arguing with each other, complaining about umpires and a negative attitude aura was beginning to envelop the entire dugout.  The losing was taking its toll on the boys.  So I went to the game hoping to breathe some fresh air into the team.  My plan was to gather them up and remind them why a bunch of ragtag churchmen play in a town ball league against a bunch of cussing, beer drinking, softball crunching dudes.  We play with a greater purposes that wins and losses I was going to say.

When I got to the game I stretched and threw a ball around a little to warm-up.  Then right as the other game ended one of my teammates gathered everyone up.  He had his phone, and a Bible app, and he wanted to read us something.  This is what he said,

"Colossians 3:1 - If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated, at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."

My teammate wisely reminded those of us gathered there as professing Christians that our win/loss record does not matter to God.  We don't play softball for trophies and championships.  We play because we enjoy fellowship with one another, because we want to glorify God through the use of our bodies, because we want to be a light in the community, because we want to model what competition with integrity and respect looks like in the Kingdom of God.  It was a good word and a great reminder.

The Apostle Paul was continually reminding the churches he served of the Gospel.  In his letters he says things over and over again to drive home certain points.  People are forgetful.  We need reminding, especially when it comes to the purposes and plans of Jesus.  Our hearts and minds nature position is hostile to God and will stray from him.  We need a community of faith and the Word of God to serve as  reminders, pointing us back again and again to what really matters.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

Lessons from Mt Everest