Parenting is a super amazing job. It renews my energy and fills up my soul to watch my kids laugh, learn, grow and love. Throwing the baseball, coloring a picture, playing a board game, or cuddling and watching a movie are activities I delight in. My kids teach me daily about love, forgiveness, happiness, kindness, and light-heartedness.
Parenting is a super tough job. It is exhausting to the body, the mind and the spirit. My children have an uncanny ability to show me all my shortcomings with ridiculous clarity; my impatience, my selfishness, and my need for control all shine through when I spend an extended amount of time with my kids.
Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like had I not had children at such a young age. I was only 23 when my first son was born, and by 26 I had three little ones. Those early years were so crazy and exhausting. I don't know how Stephanie and I did it. Of course many things in our life would be different had we not had three kids so quickly, but I would never trade it for anything.
Being a dad is the hardest, most rewarding, most honoring job on the planet. I know it can be hard and we all have our days but we must never throw in the towel. God has given us a job to do and we need to rise to the call of our Lord.
With that in mind, here is a short list of 10 Things Christian Parents Must do for Their Kids.
1. Pray to the Lord daily and thank Him for giving you children to care for.
2. Look for the best in your kids in all circumstances.
3. Build them up with encouragement, don't cut them down for their mistakes.
4. Make big deposits of love and trust into their little hearts everyday.
5. Demonstrate for them the forgiveness and grace of God.
6. Guard them from the evil of the world.
7. Set Biblical boundaries for them.
8. Teach them the Word of God.
9. Model for them a life of obedience to what the Bible commands.
10. Demand that they respect, obey and honor authority in their lives.