Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Thoughts About My Preaching

Last Sunday I had the privilege of giving the sermon CANVAS Church, which is my home church in Northfield.  If you want, you can listen to the sermon here.

I'm so grateful that I have a pastor who recognizes a gift and passion in me and who is willing to allow me the opportunity to develop and share that gift!  Trust me, not all senior pastors so graciously steps out of the pulpit to give young bucks a chance to preach.

Not being in full time ministry I have the unique ability to see things from both an insider and outsider perspective.  With that in mind, let me share with you a few of the realizations and feelings I encountered as I prepared to preach.  Maybe they'll help you to get a different image of your own pastor and his preaching.

8 General Thoughts
1.  Writing a sermon takes a lot of study and prayer and time (at least 20 hours for me)
2.  You are never quite sure you if you have enough stuff, or if you have too much
3.  There is constant doubt running through your head about your sermon's merit, relevance, and effectiveness
4.  It is wise to keep praying all week that the sermon is singularly about God's glory and not the preachers
5.  You wonder if people really want to hear the Bible or just funny stories and jokes
6.  You have to trust in the Holy Spirit a lot for wisdom, words and protection of your spirit
7.  Satan is always on the attack and he leans on you a little extra before you preach God's Word
8.  It is good to practice to gain confidence in your presentation


5 Temptations of Preaching
1.  Be funny or people won't like you.
2.  Have good stories to entertain people.
3.  Don't get too serious or too deep.
4.  The pressure to 'convince' people.
5.  Talk about relevant topics not Jesus finished work and power.


5 Goals of Preaching
1.  Preach the Word unashamadly. (Romans 1:16)
2.  Completely trust the power of the God's Word. (1 Peter 1:23, Hebrews 4:12)
3.  Help people connect with Jesus by showing off his glory. (Hebrews 12:2)
4.  Listen to the Spirit and allow space for his work in hearts. (John 3:7, 8)
5.  Explain how the text is helpful and applicable to all of life. (2 Timothy 3:16-18)

I love to preach.  I love God's Word and I love having the opportunity to teach it to others.  It is an awesome responsibility to speak for God and I want to honor Him with every word.  Would you please take a moment and pray for your pastor?  Pray that he would be faithful to the Bible, that he'd find his worth in Christ and not in his sermon delivery, that he's be confident in the power of God's Word and the Holy Spirit, and that's he and his family would be protected from the schemes of Satan.  Thanks.




Post a Comment