Skip to main content

4 Misconceptions About Mentors

For anyone who wants to grow and mature in some area of their life having a mentor is incredibly useful.  Mentors are people who are further down the road you want to walk down, and thus, they can speak life and wisdom and guidance into your life to help you continue moving forward.  I have learned a great deal from the mentors in my life and meeting with them has led to some incredible maturing as a leader, pastor, husband, and father.

However, not everyone has great mentoring relationships like I have had.  In discussing this with others I have noticed some common misconceptions about mentor relationships.  Avoiding these misconceptions will help you to have a much richer, more fulfilling mentorship experience.

1.  A mentor should pursue a relationship with me.

I have learned it is the job of the mentee, and not the mentor, to pursue the relationships.  Mentors usually have high demands on their time from many people.  They are leaders busy leading, and to be honest, they probably don't have you on their mind 24/7.  Too many people are offended that their mentor doesn't reach out to them.  Well, that is not the job of the mentor.  If you want to connect and grow it is your job to pursue the relationship.  You have to initiate the contact, be flexible in scheduling the meeting, and be the one asking the questions.

2.  A mentor should become a close friend.

This is closely correlated with the first misconception.  The difference is that mentee's usually don't fall into this trap until after a successful mentor meeting.  Imagine meeting with a wise person who you seem to get along well with.  It is very easy to believe that person feels as enamored with you as you do with them.  The truth, however, is that it isn't likely.  The relationship you're dreaming about probably won't happen.  The best thing to do after a great mentor meeting is to say thanks and then go put your learning into practice.

3.  A mentor should be thinking about how to make me better.

While it's true that a mentor meeting should help you learn and grow, too many people put too high an expectation on the mentor to fix the mentee's problem.  A better way of looking at things is to look at the mentor as a resource for resolution, not the savior of your situation.  Mentors are busy people who can be a wealth of information and encouragement, but I can promise you they are not spending all their time thinking about how to make you better.  Meet with them, glean what you can from them, thank them for their investment of time and development in your life, and then walk away expecting nothing more.

4.  A mentor should have all the answers.

Remember, a mentor is your help but not your hope.  Mentors are not perfect.  They have warts and issues and problems themselves.  Having a mentor meeting will not solve all your problems.  Too many times I walked away from mentor meetings feeling down because I expected the meeting to solve all my problems.  I expected my mentor to know exacted what to say and how to fix my issues.  When that didn't happen I got discouraged.  Instead of giving you all the answers, mentors should encourage you by giving you ideas, sharpening your plans, offering some guidance, and sharing their experiences.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…