6 Reasons Why I Blog
is a great blogger and stay at home mom who writes all kinds of interesting things about faith, family, farm life, and many other topics. She has been blogging for a long time and I've just gotten into the action reading what she's writing. Yesterday she wrote these words (in the comment section I think),
"Sometimes blogging can feel so one sided, like you're giving a passionate speech to a wall."
I can relate to this. As someone who has blogged since 2006 I have given lots of passionate speeches to walls. At first glance it seems like a weird thing to continue doing for seven years. I'm often asked why I blog, or why I continue to blog, even when I'm unsure about the size of my audience. There are lots of reasons why I blog and I thought maybe this would be an appropriate time to share them.
1. I like it. It makes me happy. That might not make sense to you, but it doesn't really matter if it makes sense to you, because you are not me.
2. God has wired me up to be good at 'finding stuff' (sermons, quotes, resources, pictures, wisdom) and blogging gives me a place to share that stuff with others to help them grow, be encouraged, be corrected, to sharpen their thinking, or to be a blessing. By blogging I feel like I am exercising my gifts.
3. I am a teacher and a pastor and this is a platform for me to teach and preach. I love to learn and teach about Jesus and the Christian faith. Of course my faith connects with many other areas of life. Blogging gives me a place to share my ideas and to teach others the things I am learning.
4. Blogging is a repository of my days, my thoughts, my experiences, and my overall life. I like to look back over the months and years to see everything that I have done, thought and felt. Blogging also provides a place for those people who care about me but with whom I don't have regular contact to stay close to my life and all that is happening in it.
5. I like to think and write and my blog is a place where I can practice those skills.
6. I like to connect with others and my blog is a way for people to get to know me, and for me to connect with other like minded individuals.