The Danger of Instagram (and Other Social Media)

Thank you Shauna Niequist for this article!

Instagram's Envy Effect is an article that everyone who uses social media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram) needs to read.  Right now!  Go read it!

Maybe you didn't listen to my advice and instead of clicking the link and reading the article you decided to stay on my blog.  Well let me say thanks;  I appreciate your reading loyalty.  But seriously, you should read the article.

Maybe you still haven't read the article.  Ok, fine, I probably haven't convinced you and maybe I never will.  If that's the case, here are some things that stuck out to me as I read.
- The danger of the Internet is that it’s very very easy to tell partial truths—to show the fabulous meal but not the mess to clean up afterward. 
- I do think it’s important for us to remind ourselves from time to time that watching other peoples’ post-worthy moments on Facebook is always going to yield a prettier version of life than the one you’re living right now.

- Our envy buttons also get pushed because we rarely check Facebook when we’re having our own peak experiences. We check it when we’re bored and when we’re lonely, and it intensifies that boredom and loneliness. 
- It makes sense, then, that anyone else’s fun or beauty or sparkle gets under our skin. It magnifies our own dissatisfaction with that moment. 
- Let’s choose community. Let’s stop comparing. Let’s start connecting. 
- Remember that the very best things in life can’t be captured in status updates.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest