Wednesday, December 25, 2013

How God's Word is Like Ice Melt for our Heart


I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:11, ESV)

Ice melt is an awesome product.  Basically it is salt, and when you put the salt on the ice it lowers the freezing point of the ice.  This does two things.  First, it makes the existing ice softer and helps melt ice away more quickly.  Secondly, any salt that remains on the driveway prevents new ice from building up.  The fact is, if I would have attacked the snow and ice on my driveway more aggressively with ice melt I would have prevented much of the build up from occurring in the first place.

The Word of God functions much like ice melt does.  When we read the Bible, study the Bible, meditate on the Bible, and listen to the Bible preached in church, it is like putting spiritual ice melt on our hard hearts.  The Word of God melts the ice that makes us resistant to God.  It softens our hearts and begins to change us.  And when we store God's Word up in our heart we are resistant to sin's coming to build itself up in there again.  


This is Pt 3 of my blog series "Lessons from an Icy Driveway."

Pt 1 - You Have to Use the Right Tools for the Job

Post a Comment