Funeral Reflections

Saturday I went to the funeral.

The funeral was for a 39 year old woman who is the sister of one of Stephanie's best friends from college.  The woman who died was someone I have known for many years also.  She was an amazing woman who will be greatly missed by many people.

I was struck at the funeral by the number of people who spoke about how this woman had loved them unconditionally.  My friend was a woman full of grace, without any hint of judgment.  She accepted people where they were at and she allowed them the space and freedom to come to Christ in whatever way he was calling them.  She had her own faith, but she never forced it upon anyone.  Person after person stood up, took a microphone, and shared with the room about the impact of this woman on their lives.

The morning made me pause and consider so many things.  Funerals and death have a powerful way of making you do that.  Some of the things I considered where…

- what kind of an impact my life is having
- how do I show and share Jesus with others
- the fragalty and preciousness of life
- the great hope I have in Jesus
- the greatness of good friendships
- the pain of losing someone you love
- the suddenness with which life can change

I am glad I knew this woman.  I learned from her life, and I learned from her death.  I believe she is now with Christ enjoying his splendor and greatness.  I pray for her family and for their comfort.  I rejoice knowing that someday I too will die and I will be with my Savior.  Until that day I will strive to bring him glory, to love those around me well, and to spread the grace of God to those I meet.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest