Tuesday, March 18, 2014

An Example of How Prophecy Can Work


Sunday at church a visitor to our church introduced herself to my wife and told my wife to write down Psalm 84:7 & 11.  My wife read the verses that night and couldn't understand why the woman would have shared them with her.   I looked up the verses myself, and made a few comments on how the verses might relate to some circumstances in Stephanie's life.   Little did I think that the verses may actually have been given by the Lord to Stephanie for me.

They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion. - Psalm 84:7 

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. - Psalm 84:11 

I received a text message at 6AM Monday morning from a co-worker who was going to be out sick. That meant that all the responsibility for the week lay on me and one other guy.  I would be the unplanned point person.  I spent the next 30 minutes before my shower laying in bed vacillating between prayers and work preparations.  The last few days of work last week were tough and I knew I was walking into a difficult situation on Monday.  Now I'd be doing it without the support of a peer.

As I laid in bed, and many times since then, I have considered the words of the Psalmist.   The Lord is my sun and my shield.  He will bring me warmth and protection. In other words, he keeps me safe.  The Lord bestows favor and honor.   He will give me good relationships with others. He will work things out for good.  No good things does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.   All I need to do is be honest, have integrity, speak the truth, and be humble. 

Meditating on these verses has really strengthened me despite the difficulties of my work day.  God's Word is true and it is an encouragement to His people.  I am grateful the woman spoke those words to my wife, and I am grateful that I was given eyes to see how they could apply to me.
Post a Comment