Tuesday, July 22, 2014

How (and Why) I Use the Foursquare App


In the last couple months I’ve started to use a new app on my iPhone called Foursquare. When my wife started to see Foursquare updates on my Facebook timeline she said to me, “That’s an app for people trying to find single people to hook up with.” While it may be used that way by some people, that is DEFINATLEY not why I use Foursquare.

Here’s how it works.

When you open up the Foursquare app it uses your GPS location to identify the names of business, restaurants, parks and other places around you. If you are in one of those locations you can ‘check-in’ there. Then, depending on how your options are set-up, you can share your check-in information on other social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. By sharing you are letting other people know where you are and giving them the chance to connect with you.

Also, Foursquare can send you alerts when other Foursquare friends have checked-in to a location near you. Here’s a good example of why this is cool. Last Saturday I went to Canterbury Park to watch some extreme animal racing. I checked-in using the Foursquare app, and I was immediately able to see that a friend from college was also at the track that day. I texted him and we had the opportunity to arrange a meeting and say hi to each other. Pretty cool. Imagine how much fun this could add to your experience at baseball games and music concerts!

Another neat thing about Foursquare is that you can leave reviews and tips about the locations you check-in. When you do this, anyone else who checks-in to that same place can see the reviews and tips about food quality, service, pricing, and many other things. Reading these check-in tips can improve your user experience.

What has been your experience? Are you a Foursquare user? If you are we should be friends and connect sometime when our paths cross!
Post a Comment