Skip to main content

Notes and Quotes from my sermon on Friendship (taken from various Proverbs)


Last Sunday I had the privilege to preach the sermon at Cedarbrook Church in Menominee, WI.  Any time I am asked to preach is special, but this Sunday was especially special because I was invited out by my good friend Kyle Gunderson who is the Associate Pastor at Cedarbrook.  We have been close friends for 16 years and it is so cool to see all the things God has done in his life.  It was a fantastic day of sharing a word from the Bible and then hanging out with Kyle and his family.  


He and his wonderful wife Anna are amazing people and their four little boys get along with my kids like they have been best friends forever.  Stephanie and I both felt such an instant connection with Kyle and Anna even though we go way too long between times seeing each other.  We were all definitely blessed being together.


Cedarbrook has been going through a sermon series this summer called Life Apps.  The point of the series is that just like apps on a phone are only beneficial when they are used, the principles in God's Word need to be engaged if they are going to have an impact in our lives.  The Life App I chose to speak on was Friendship (based mostly on assorted Proverbs).  You can listen to my sermon, or any of the other Life App sermons by clicking here.


Here are some notes and quotes from my sermon on Friendship…...

- My thoughts on this come from my conviction that you / I are designed by God to travel through life with other people, and that friendship is one of the primary avenues in which this takes place. The key thought, if you’re taking notes (or tweeting) is this ----> our best friends are the ones who make us better in the areas of life that matter most.

- The Bible teaches that God designed us for friendship, and it also teaches us about the importance of picking good friends.

- Pastor Andy Stanley says it like this, “Your friends impact the direction and quality of your life.

- C.S. Lewis from The Four Loves, “Friendship arises out of mere Companionship when two or more of the companions discover that they have in common some insight or interest or even taste which the others do not share and which, till that moment, each believed to be his own unique treasure (or burden). The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one."

- Pastor Craig Groschel says that “you and I are just one friend away from a completely different life,” and I believe it with all my heart.

- I have to engage in the process of friendship if I want to experience the good things that can come from it, because, remember, application is everything.

- ...the more I thought about the power of friendship, the more I was forced to consider my own friendships, and the more I did that, the more I longed for more out of them.

- Even when we are ditched by everyone in this world we have one friend who will never leave us. That friend is Jesus Christ.

- You may be just one friend away from a completely different future. And Jesus is that friend. Today by simply acknowledging your need for him, you can be among those whom Jesus calls his friends. If you do that, I promise you, Jesus will drastically change the quality and direction of your life.

* Scriptures references: Pr. 13:20; 25:27; 27:17; 17:17; 25:20; 18:24; Hebrews 10:24-25; John 15:12-15
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

When it is time to write a sermon I have found it is most effective for me to get out of the house and go to a coffee shop.  My mind is clearer and my focus is sharper there.  I am usually more productive.

The increase in output may be because, as pastor and author Mark Batterson often says, "change of place + change of pace = change in perspective."  However, I think something else is influencing me.  When I am out of my house I am not distracted by messes, dishes, house chores, or clutter; my mind is completely free to focus on the task I want to accomplish.

 In addition to Batterson's creativity axiom, here are a couple little formulas that I've found hold true for me:

Cleanliness = Creativity and Calmness.
Organized home = Organized mind.

Simply put, I function best when my environment feels under control.  This feeling of control comes in many different forms.  I feel like things are under control when my surroundings are clean and organized.  I feel like thin…