Preparing to Handle the Valley Times of Our Lives




Life is full of ups and downs.  The hard part is that it seems the downs are a lot lower than the ups are high.  And they come more frequently.  Would you agree?

One of the reasons I am such a proponent of Bible study, exegetical preaching and constant sermon listening is because you never know when the lows are going to hit, and when they hit is not the time to decide how you are going to handle them.  Think of the fire drills you did during your time in elementary school.  You didn’t do those fire drills so that you’d have extra recess time.  You did them so that just in case an actual fire occurred, you would be prepared and know how to react appropriately.

As followers of Jesus we need to be prepared for cancer, job loss, disappointment, frustration, and struggle.  I have walked through my fair share of hardships and it was my spiritual foundation that sustained me.  Jesus said a wise man builds his house on the rocks, not the sand, so that when storms in life come you can stand firm.  Isn’t that what we all want – to feel like we’re standing firm?  Therefore, we need to build on the rocks of God’s love, His sovereignty, His goodness, and His wisdom.  With a firm, Biblically-informed grasp of these things we are prepared to react when trouble comes.

Of course none of this is meant to minimize the pain and fear that come in storms or times of trouble.  If the elementary school is on fire the kids are still going to yell and scream and shake, but if they have prepared ahead of time they will still be able to safely navigate the fire.  That is what I want for myself, and what I want for all of you who read this.  Jesus Christ came to earth, died on a cross in our place, and has overcome sin and death to give us new life and an unshakable hope for the future.  My prayer is that we all may have a relationship with him that sustains us in all circumstances.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

Lessons from Mt Everest