Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Element of Surprise in God's Steering of Our Lives



I spent some time reading old blog posts tonight from 2008 on another platform I used to blog on. I came across this quote which I loved and think should be shared again.

As I review God’s steering of my life, one thing that stands out is the element of surprise at all the crucial points. I was never expecting what came; I was always projecting something else.
-J.I. Packer

I can completely relate to this. I have had many plans for my life but things have always seemed to take a turn I wasn't prepared for. Then, once I have traveled down the new road, as I look back I can see how I am in exactly the place I should be, and I'm thankful that God changed the plans I made into His own plans. 

Reminds me of Proverbs 16:9 (ESV), 
"The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps."

I find so much peace in Scripture's reassurance that God is always besides me, bringing me to the place that is best for me, despite my greatest attempts to go somewhere else. I also find strength to make hard decisions and to take risks knowing that I can trust Jesus with the final outcome.

Post a Comment