Monday, November 24, 2014

Notes and Quotes from my sermon "5 Things I'm Thankful For" - Romans 8:28-20


Last Sunday I had the opportunity to preach at Main Street Moravian Church in Northfield (I will be back this Sunday also). I preached out of Romans 8:28-30 and shared 5 things I am thankful for, based on 5 words found in the text.  The words are foreknown, predestined, called, justified, and glorified. The church was much fuller than usual, and I was happy to have my family and a couple friends in the congregation.  Here are a few things from the sermon that I wanted to share.

- That being said, as a preacher of God’s Word, I do not want to be afraid of the opinions of people, and I can not sugar coat what I feel the Bible overwhelmingly teaches to be true.

- It would be foolish of me to be so afraid of what people think that I would risk the displeasure of God by trying to soften or sweeten His Words.

- However, I believe there’s a way to share these words w/o being a jerk for Jesus.

- Here’s something to remember ---> Our attitude reflects our feelings of gratitude.

- To be a Christian means that not only was my existence known by God, but a mark was put on my life from forever ago that I would be chosen to be loved as a child in his family.

- [The Bible] talks about: 2) God “knowing” in a way that is synonymous with his choosing and possessing a people for himself.

- let me ask you this, “Why do you feel the need to get God off the hook for something that he himself doesn’t feel the need to justify or explain to human beings? Why, as a human being, do you accuse God of not meeting your code of what is moral or just?”

- Predestination, in this case, is the divine determination of God that those who love him will become like his Son Jesus, and what v. 28 says is that God will use whatever means and measures he chooses to bring forth that likeness.

- God has predestined it, meaning God has divinely determined, that by faith, those who love Him will become like their big brother Jesus in every way. For those who are adopted by the plan and purpose of God into His own family, THIS IS going to happen.

- But who I am now is not who I will always be!

- The effectual call of God always does what God intends it to do - it gives a person with a dead sinful heart, new life.

- Pastor John Piper says it like this, “Justification is the act where God forgives sin, acquits guilt, averts his wrath, and declares you innocent and righteous.”

- Without justification there is no hope, no healing, no redemption, no glory and no future with God.

- The Biblical concept of glorification means that those who, by faith, are in Christ Jesus, will one day share in his glory and will experience the eradication of all sin. It means that our physical bodies will be redeemed, renewed and made perfect.

- In the mind of God glorification of the saints, your joining with Christ, sharing in Christ’s glory, beholding the glory of God, having your mind and body renewed, in the mind of God these things are not just happening, they are done, they are FINISHED!
Post a Comment