Skip to main content

Fantastic Quotes and mini Book Review: The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen


Henri Nouwen was a Catholic priest who died in 1996. I love reading his books. I recently finished reading The Way of the Heart.

Nouwen's writing always stirs something up in me with regard to developing a deeper love of Jesus and love for others. His books have a simple spirituality about them that is humble, intimate, authentic, and understandable. In all his writing and public ministry Nouwen's love for Jesus and for the church are clearly evident. I would recommend to all Christians that they should spend a little time reading Nouwen. Beyond being very wise, his books are both short and accessible for all reading levels.

In The Way of the Heart Nouwen examines the ministry, the lives and the example of the Desert Fathers and Mothers of the 4th Century. These were men and women who left contemporary society and moved into the desert in order to grow closer with Christ and serve him more single-mindedly. Nouwen takes the example, the teaching and the anecdotes from this pursuit and he applies them to men and women today who are desiring to give their lives more fully to God and to experiencing a deeper union with Christ. He builds this application around three practices learned from the the Desert Fathers - solitude, silence, and unceasing prayer.  I have included some of what I found to be the most meaningful quotes from each section below.

We move through life in such a distracted way that we do not even take the time and rest to wonder if any of the things we think, say or do are even worth thinking, saying and doing.

Solitude
- solitude is the furnace for transformation
- anyone who wants to fight his demons with his own weapons is a fool
- Mother Teresa affirmed again the truth that ministry can be fruitful only if it grows out of a direct and intimate encounter with our Lord
- compassion is the fruit of solitude and the basis of all ministry
- compassion is hard because it requires the inner disposition to go with others to the place where they are weak, vulnerable, lonely, and broken 

"I have often repented of having spoken, but never of having remained silent." Arsenius

Silence
- silence completes and intensifies solitude
- speaking gets us involved in the affairs of the world, and it is very hard to be involved beaching entangled and polluted by the world
- our first and foremost task is faithfully to care for the inward fire so that when it is really needed it can offer warmth and light to lost travelers
- a word with power is a word that comes out of silence
- our task is to help people concentrate on the real but often hidden event of God's active presence in their lives

Prayer
- the crisis of our prayer life is that our mind may be filled with thoughts of God but our heart remains far from him
- a simple, easily repeated prayer cans lowly empty our our crowded interior life and create the quiet space where we cant well with God
- prayer helps us discern which of our activities are for the glory of God and which are primarily for the glory of the uncovered ego

Our compulsive, wordy, mid-oriented world has a firm grip on us, and we need a very strong, persistent discipline not to be squeezed out by it.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

When it is time to write a sermon I have found it is most effective for me to get out of the house and go to a coffee shop.  My mind is clearer and my focus is sharper there.  I am usually more productive.

The increase in output may be because, as pastor and author Mark Batterson often says, "change of place + change of pace = change in perspective."  However, I think something else is influencing me.  When I am out of my house I am not distracted by messes, dishes, house chores, or clutter; my mind is completely free to focus on the task I want to accomplish.

 In addition to Batterson's creativity axiom, here are a couple little formulas that I've found hold true for me:

Cleanliness = Creativity and Calmness.
Organized home = Organized mind.

Simply put, I function best when my environment feels under control.  This feeling of control comes in many different forms.  I feel like things are under control when my surroundings are clean and organized.  I feel like thin…