Skip to main content

We Sold Our Townhouse Last Friday!!!!


Last Friday, June 5, Stephanie and I closed the door on a chapter of our lives that began almost exactly twelve years earlier. On Friday afternoon we drove to St. Michael and signed the papers completing the sale of our townhouse in Monticello. It has been a long journey coming to this point and we praise Jesus in how He guided us through the entire process.

Stephanie and I built the townhouse in 2003. We found the property online and worked with the builder to design the townhouse we wanted. It was a wonderful end unit in a cul-de-sac right across the street from an elementary school. We never talked much about the idea of our son Jacob going to school there (Stephanie was on bed rest in the seven month of pregnancy when we moved in) but we loved the location. It was so fun to have our very first home. It was new, it was just how we wanted it and it was beautiful. We hosted many parties, small groups, ministry gatherings and events at that house. We met a couple of great neighbors, invited them to church and continue to watch in amazement at how God has transformed their lives. Becker's we love you!

In 2007 we made the decision to move to Northfield. The year leading up to this decision was a very difficult time for us. There was a lot of pain and growth and change happening and we needed to move out of town to keep our growth moving forward. Packing up our stuff and saying goodbye to the place (and people) we loved was a hard thing to do. It was a sad day. 

For the next 8 years we rented out the townhouse. We briefly tried early on to sell it but the market in Monticello was so bad we knew that we'd lose way too much money if we kept it on the market. God was so faithful in bringing renters. We had three tenants during that time frame. It was hard being a landlord. I learned a lot and I'm not sure I'd want to do it again. I liked having the checks come in each month but I didn't like dealing with the problems and the little troubles that came with the responsibility. There was never really too much to deal with but I always dreaded seeing the renter's number show up on the caller ID.

At Christmas 2014 we wrote down prayers requests for 2015 and one of our family's requests was to sell the townhouse. We saw the market shifting and we wanted to capitalize. We wanted to be done with having the property hanging over our heads and sitting in the back of our minds. My plan was to have the place listed by Stephanie's birthday on March 18. However, my plan was not God's plan. 

Our renters decided to move out in early April. That is when we discovered how much damage they had done to the place. The cigarette smell was horrible. The carpet needed replacing. It looked as though nothing had been cleaned for months, maybe years. The first time back into the now empty townhouse was painful. To see the place we loved so much, the place that was once so beautiful, now so nasty broke my wife's heart. And so we started the processes of prepping the place for sale.

The story of how the townhouse sold is completely a God story. IT WAS NEVER EVEN LISTED!!!!! People this is so amazing. God was so faithful to us. We learned on a Monday (5/4) that the owner of another unit in our cul-de-sac had signed a purchase agreement to sell his home the previous Thursday (4/30). Later that day Jim called and told me that two parties had been very interested in the other townhouse and that the party that lost out on the bid wanted to see our place immediately. We scrambled, completed the flooring and some cleaning, had a showing on Tuesday and then received an offer Tuesday night!!! It was incredible. The next day we countered and by Wednesday night we had a purchase agreement of our own!! God is so amazing!

We couldn't have done it without our realtors Jim and Barb O'Leary. They were so great to work with.  Again and again they went above and beyond our expectations to make sure that our place looked as nice as possible. If you are looking to buy or sell in the northwest suburbs please let me know and I'd love to connect you with Jim and Barb! 

There was some sadness on Friday when we handed over the keys for the last time. The townhouse was a link to Monticello and a link to the past. It gave us an excuse to go back and see old friends. Part of my still lived in that house and as long as we owned it there was always the chance (albeit very, very small) that God would call us back up there to finish the work we started there. That is gone now. I don't know how often we'll be back to Monticello. Although I am relieved to have the weight of being a landlord off my back the finality of it all hurts a little.

Through it all God has been faithful and I am fully confident in the promise of His faithfulness going forward.

I want to thank a few people who mean so much to us and who all helped in one way or another in the sale of our townhouse.

- My mother-in-law Barb
- My brother Aaron
- Jim and Barb O'Leary (realtors)
- Jerry Charlebois (painter)
- Tim Becker (carpet)
- Daryl and Amy Becker (handyman work and emotional support)
- Michael Grose
- Tonya from Home Depot in Monticello

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…