Circle the Lake 5k

Last weekend I raced in the Circle the Lake 5K. Last year I was registered for the 10K but I wasn't able to participate due to a leg injury. I was stuck cheering from the sidelines as my friend Blake won the 5K part of the race. I set a goal that day that in 2015 I would come back and win the 5K.

I'd been training pretty hard for the last month to make sure I could come in under last year's winning time. Circle the Lake isn't a big race but I didn't want to take a chance. In my training I did longer runs, sprints, stairs, and speed training. I was worried the day before the race because my calves were really sore from a stair workout a few days earlier. That's why I have those white compression wraps on my legs in the picture above.

It was a really funny start to the race for me. I got to Millersburg a little late, and I really had to use the bathroom, so I was in the Port-a-Potty when the gun went off to start the race. I raced out and crossed the start line in almost last place. In a way it was motivating because I was chasing people for the first mile and half. 

At around the 2 mile mark I was in second place. I knew that all I needed to do was stay close and I would win because I started so far behind everyone else. I tried hard but couldn't quite catch the leader and I crossed the line second. I knew it was good enough for a winning time and when I checked the computers I was right! First place and a new personal record time for a 5K! It was really exciting.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

Lessons from Mt Everest