Reflections on Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones film "Logic on Fire"


Last night I had the chance to watch a screening of the movie Logic on Fire: the life and legacy of Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The movie was shown at Bethlehem Baptist Church. My wife Stephanie had no idea who Dr. Lloyd-Jones was and you may not either, so I'll tell you.

Dr. Lloyd-Jones was a prominent pastor and preacher in Wales and England from around 1930-1980. His preaching is recognized as being filled with the presence of the Spirit and incredible wisdom and precision regarding the use of Scripture. He spent many years preaching at Westminster Chapel in London where thousands came each week to hear him preach. It has been said that next to Charles Spurgeon, "the Dr." as he was often referred to, is one of the most important English preaching voices in history.  

I have been challenged, blessed and edified listening to Dr. Lloyd-Jones preaching. I woudl encourage you to listen to any of the thousands of sermons recorded and preserved on the MLJ Trust website.

The movie was a very well done documentary on the Dr.'s life and ministry. The film making did a great job weaving together pics, videos and audio clips of Dr. Llyod-Jones sermons. Watching it gave you a real sense for who he was as a man, husband, father, minister, and preacher.

I wanted to take notes but the room was too dark. I did come away with a few impressions though...

- his home life was as beautiful as his preaching
- he had a great desire and skill to hold together a commitment to doctrine and spiritual experience
- passionate about holiness and holy living
- put no value in entertaining men, but relied upon the power of the Spirit and the ministry of the Word to convert men and women to Christ
- goal was always to know and expound Christ
- before he died told a friend he was nothing more than "a forgiven sinner"
- lived by the words of 1 Corinthians 2:4-5, "and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."
- his preaching was powered by a devotion to prayer and a personal experience of Jesus
- his preaching was motivated by a love of people and a passion to see them meet Christ

As a pastor and preacher myself the story of Dr. Lloyd-Jones life really challenged me in my devotion to God, prayer, Scripture, and family. I want to preach from the same places of the heart he preached from. I want to live a life of increasing holiness and prayer so that I too can share in the words of the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 2:4-5.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest