Singing Out of the Sorrow in Our Hearts


This morning I heard Pastor Bryan Loritts (@bcloritts) reference this quote in a sermon he preached at Trinity Grace Church on October 4. I found it to be a powerful illustration of praising Jesus during our most difficult times.
I have often been utterly astonished, since I came to the north, to find persons who could speak of the singing, among slaves, as evidence of their contentment and happiness. It is impossible to conceive of a greater mistake. Slaves sing most when they are most unhappy. The songs of the slave represent the sorrows of his heart; and he is relieved by them, only as an aching heart is relieved by its tears. At least, such is my experience. I have often sung to drown my sorrow, but seldom to express my happiness. - Fredrick Douglas "The Narrative of Fredrick Douglas"
Reminds me of so many of the Psalms; pain pushing its way out through song. A lot of amazing art is birthed this way.

Pastor Loritts preached that it is critical we are guided in painful and difficult times by what we KNOW and not be what we FEEL. Then he shared two guiding principles that we KNOW from Scripture and that we must remember in times of trial.

#1 - As Christians this world is not our home. We are sojourners and exiles here.
#2 - In all things God remains sovereign. The battle has been won. God will not be thwarted.

Reminding ourselves of these truths will help sustain us through any storm.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest