Wednesday, October 05, 2016

The Importance of Deep Roots of Faith


Last weekend I spent quite a few hours in my yard mowing and pulling weeds. It was good work to get my hands dirty. As I was working I was thinking and praying. I got to one section of weeds and they were pulling up out of the ground very easily. I mean, I barely touching them and they pulled right up out of the ground.

It got me thinking of the passage in Matthew 13 (in other Gospels as well) where Jesus tells the parable of the sower. The parable is a story about faith in people's live. Jesus compares the seed of the sower to people's faith, and he describes what happens when faith comes to people in different circumstances. You can read the entire parable here.

In one part of the story Jesus talks about seed that falls on rocky soil. He says that this seed does not survive and produce fruit because it has no root in the soil. Later, as he explains his story to the disciples, he tells them, "20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away."

Jesus says that many people will receive faith with joy, but many of those same people do not persevere in their faith. Like the weeds that so easily pulled from the ground, their faith has no roots and when trial comes their faith fades away.

The world is a difficult place. There is pain and brokenness and hurt all around us. We would all be overwhelmed if we truly knew the stories of the people we pass by each day. And sadly people are falling away from faith daily due to the circumstances of their lives. We must remember we live in the midst of a spiritual war zone with an enemy who is looking to destroy us any chance he gets. And if our roots are not deep we become easy targets.

Lord Jesus may this not be my story. May my faith remain rooted in the face of trial, trouble and tribulation. May my faith deep into my heart so that despite what happens around me, I may maintain my hope and trust in you. And may it not be yours either.


Post a Comment