Tuesday, January 10, 2017

"No More Bedtime Song Please Dad"

Almost every night, for as long as I can remember, I have sung the kids the same song before tucking them into bed. I'm sure you've heard it before.

"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big hug and a kiss form me to you, won't you say you love me too."

Stephanie and I sang it before Barney did, just for the record!

Last night as we were watching the Alabama football game Jacob asked me, "Dad can you not sing the I love you song anymore at bed? It doesn't mean that much anymore."

CRUSHING!!!!!!

I  had wondered when this day would come. Jacob turned 13 in September and he is in the process of becoming a young man. Even though I knew someday he wouldn't want a song, hug and kiss before bed, I still wasn't completely prepared for it actually happening.

Jake is an emotional, sweet boy and I'm a touchy dad so he won't escape my hugs and kisses for ever, but I have to admit it was a little strange walking out of his bedroom after prayers without having sung him his goodnight song.

I closed the door and thought about how a door on his childhood was closing along with it.

Gopher football game in Nov 2016.

Pheasant hunting trip to SD Nov 2016.

Eating Buffalo Wings in Brainerd Dec 2016.

Goofing around in Shakoppe at Izzy bball Jan 2017.
Post a Comment